Unified Payment Interface (UPI), launched by National Payments Corporation of India, which is expected to bring revolutionary changes to the payments landscape in India has gone live recently. Several banks, including ICICI Bank, Canara Bank and Yes Bank, have already announced the launch of UPI-enabled apps, which can be used by both customers of the respective banks or an account holder of another bank to transact payments. UPI allows both sending and receiving money through the new mechanism.
But how do the new apps work? Many of us would be asking this question as more and more banks come up with their UPI apps. NPCI has listed out detailed steps on how a bank customer can use the various app. It has explained in a simplified manner how money can be sent or received right from registration to concluding the transaction.
Here is how it works:
Steps for Registration:
- Download the UPI application from the App Store / Banks website
- Create profile by entering details like name, virtual id (payment address), password etc.
- Go to “Add/Link/Manage Bank Account” option and links the bank and account number with the virtual id
Select the bank account from which you want to initiate the transaction
User clicks one of the options:
a. Mobile Banking Registration/Generate MPIN
b. Change M-PIN
For registering or generating M-PIN:
- You will receive One Time Password (OTP) from the issuer bank on his/her registered mobile number
- You have to enter last 6 digits of debit card number and expiry date
- Enter OTP and preferred numeric MPIN (MPIN to be set) and clicks on ‘submit’
- After clicking submit, customer gets notification (successful or decline) for changing M-PIN
- Enters old MPIN and preferred new MPIN (MPIN to be set) and click on ‘Submit’
- After clicking submit, customer gets notification (successful or failure)
How a UPI transaction is performed:
PUSH – Sending money using virtual address
- Log on to UPI application
- After successful login, select the option of Send Money/Payment
- Enter beneficiary’s/Payee virtual id and amount and select account to be debited
- You will get confirmation screen to review the payment details and clicks on ‘Confirm’
- Enter MPIN
- Get ‘successful’ or ‘failure’ message
PULL – Requesting money
- Log in to the bank’s UPI application.
- After successful login, select the option of collect money (request for payment)
- Enter remitters/payer’s virtual id, amount and account to be credited
- You will get confirmation screen to review the payment details and clicks on confirm
- The payer will get the notification on his mobile for request money
- Payer now clicks on the notification and opens his banks UPI app where he reviews payment request
- Payer then decides to click on accept or decline
- In case of accept payment, payer will enter MPIN to authorise the transaction
- Transaction complete, payer gets ‘successful’ or ‘decline’ transaction notification
- Payee/requester gets notification and SMS from bank for credit of his bank account.
This Article is originally published on Financial Express on August 31, 2016.